22 January 2012

Baby Love, My Baby Love

About 5 years ago when my mom and close friend were planning a baby shower for my second, I remember inviting some French friends and relatives who had no clue what a baby shower was. A translation of the phrase doesn't exist in the French language, and neither does the concept apparently. My mother-in-law, who has a long-standing practice of teaching me flowery-sounding French idioms - we often will use an expression in our native language and then ask the other, "but does this exist in your language? What would you say to express that?" was particularly puzzled by the fact that a shower translates to "douche" in French. I postulated that we get the expression because it entails "showering" the mother-to-be with gifts. If anyone has a better explanation, please feel free to let me know.


In recent years, just like the cupcake, it seems the tradition of a baby shower (or bridal shower) has caught on here in France. I have prepared cakes and cupcakes for many of these occasions and this weekend was bombarded with requests from 3 different baby showers! I have to count back to see what was going on about 9 months ago but apparently there was A LOT of love in the air! :P


Pictured here are mini cupcakes from two different boy baby showers. My last client, who is having a girl, and I came up with the COOLEST idea - which was to print pictures from a 3D ultrasound of her baby in the womb on to rice paper and I used those to decorate her cupcakes. Due to the personal nature though of that order, I don't have any pictures to share. But I LOVED doing this to celebrate her soon to be born baby. Best of luck to all the parents-to-be.

Blue seemed to be the theme of the week as I also worked on these I Want (Cotton) Candy cupcakes for a film shoot.


Oh, and let's not forget Nils' blue polka dot 3rd birthday cake and cupcakes!


Lastly, to round all this blue, I worked on a Disney princess themed party this weekend and just loved the results. What do you think?



1 comment:

  1. Wow, your cupcakes are adorable. I can't believe this is the first time I've come across your site even though I've lived in Paris for years!

    ReplyDelete