07 March 2009

Shhh! Can You Keep a Secret?


These cupcakes have a secret. Wanna know what it is? Are you good at keeping secrets? How do I know I can trust you? Alright, alright, first a bit of background.....I made these for my sister-in-law's birthday which is Monday but she's having a part-ay tonight. She doesn't know I am bringing them so that is part of the secret. I wanted to make something special since most of the people there will be French and they don't really know much about cupcakes. Yet.

The big secret though is that hidden behind these humble-looking chocolate frosted cupcakes are a bunch of wild, crazy, "Dazed & Confused" inspired party animals. Or "freaks" as my husband put it so delicately.

Here's a hint:



Here's another one:



Have you guessed it?



Ta-Da!!!

Now the bit about my husband. When I was bandying about ideas for these cupcakes, I said, "Maybe I'll whip up a batch of those matcha cocoa cupcakes. Your sister likes tea." His response was that people will be coming to the party after dinner, they will be drinking wine and other adult beverages, the subtleties of the matcha cocoa cupcake will be lost on them. He said better to stick to more traditional flavors. So I did, just not traditional colors. He thinks these cupcakes are going to freak them out. So I made a batch of chocolate ones with vanilla icing.



I just colored the buttercream really loud. I couldn't help it; they were calling out to me to be dressed up for this evening's festivities. I wish you could see them in person cause the colors on your screen just don't do them justice. The purples are really deep violet like you see on pansies, and the pink is like a day-glo tint any 80's-loving' Madonna wannabe would be proud to bite into. Maybe you can see the color better here (I took this shot with a flash).



Before I go any further, a big thank you to thefrostedcakencookie for the awesome tutorial on how to make these cool fondant candles.

Here's a special one I made for my sister-in-law with little MMF roses.



And lastly, I HAVE to give a shout-out to my mom whose birthday really is today. She's in Palm Beach, land of crocodiles and the original preppy which is why I decorated this cupcake in pink and green. Happy Birthday, Ma!



I just ate it. It was really yummy! Oh, and it begged me to let it show its true colors too!

3 comments:

  1. These cupcakes are too good to be kept a secret!

    Your icing technique is phenomenal, LMC. Where/How did you learn to make such darn tasty-looking cakes?

    Am now off to phone your mother... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful psychedelic cupcakes!! I love the mini candles and all the colours, its fun to play around with cupcake colours isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! They turned out great!! They put my "confetti" cupcakes to shame!!! I love the color scheme, too!! I bet your SIL LOVEDDDD her cupcakes!!!! Take care and have a great PAR -TAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete